M/57 One-Year of IF SW 230, CW 197


Background - I've struggled with being overwieght my whole life. Not obese or too heavy to do normal things, just fluffy I guess :). I work a desk job but try to be active and am pretty faithful to 3 workouts per week of about 60-80 minutes, with cardio, strength training, core, and flexibility. I've tried pretty much every diet plan and had some success along the way but nothing I could sustain. Been above 200 lbs since college (circa 1980) and mostly fluctuated between 220 and 235 for the last 20-30 years, so being in the 100's has always been the unreachable goal.Intermittent Fasting - Heard about IF and researched it here and elsewhere, and decided to give it a try - I mean why not? Never was a big fan of breakfast anyway and late-night snacks were my Achilles heel. I took to it right away and saw results the first month. As you can see in the plot, I lost a consistent 3-5 lbs/month and honestly it was pretty easy compared to other diets. I still ate things I enjoyed, but found that I gravitated toward better and healthier things. My target fast is 16/8 every day but my sweet spot seems to be around 18/6. I've done a few 24-hour fasts just to see if I could and it was actually pretty doable. Honestly, IF has changed my relationship with food and I feel in control rather than being addicted. I love feeling "clean" and, like many others, feel more alert and energetic when fasted. I honestly think I can stick with this for the long term and see where I wind up. Although I have plateaued around 197-198 and haven't reached my somewhat arbitrary goal of 195, I'm very close and now think I can shoot for maybe 190 and see how I look and feel then.All-in-all I'm extremely happy with IF and how it has affected me physically and mentally. It may not work for everyone but I wholeheartedly think it is worth a try for anyone considering it. Just go for it!TL;DR IF works, even for old people :)http://bit.ly/2EZiNIS via /r/intermittentfasting http://bit.ly/2EX3O1g https://ift.tt/eA8V8J

Comments