Can’t go to gym, but fasting well - am I still doing things right?


Greeting!So I’m in a mental predicament. I’m overweight, been that way for the majority of my adult life. (34yo male, 172cm/100kg). Pre-COVID, I got down to 77kg, my all time low. I felt great, and I felt amazing - then COVID hit, along with some family health issues.Fast forward until two weeks ago - I was 100kg, and always in pain from my knees. Unfortunately I don’t live an active lifestyle. I know - excuses, excuses, but as a new parent and two jobs, I simply don’t have time to visit the gym.In any case, I’m wondering if I’m doing things right. Yes, they are working, but will the continue to work? I’ve dropped 6kg over two weeks (mostly water weight), but I can’t help to feel that I’m going to screw up something (in terms of my health)So here’s what I’m doing.As stated, as much as I’d love to - I can’t visit the gym. I work 14hrs+ a day behind a computer for most of it, lecturing for some of it (mental health aside…) - which means I’m not very active. The “free time” I do have, I dedicate to be with my family (or else they would never see me)I’ve started IF with a 4:20 approach, breakfast at 10, lunch at 2. And I’m fine with that. I’ve sprinkled in some 24 and my first 36hr fasts, and one “regular day” per week.Basically, M-F is 4:20 with 1200-1500 cals max, some days I decide I just want to do a full 24hr fast (10am-10am), and Saturday is “regular day” - 2000-2500 cals, one beer at night with some snacks and a movie with the wife) - Sunday is always a full 24hr fast, or, I may not even eat at all (last meal on Saturday at 10pm, until Monday, at 10am).I try to eat balanced food, I have one ‘sugary’ drink a day - a latte with syrup; can’t give up my espresso hobby, and rarely (very rarely) some desserts - but not every day.So, my question:Am I going to break myself by allowing myself 1 day to “eat normally and have a beer”, and is my 1200-1500 cal diet going to be torpedoed at some point by a plateau that stems from my inability to go to the gym while having a low-activity lifestyle?I’d like to mention that I do get out - we go for walks with my SO and my kid, and sometimes quite long ones - but not something that is meaningful- 400cals loss, maybe - if my Apple Watch is correct?)Thanks for any suggestions and tips! I feel that this community is what helped me get my life turning around.Edit: what I mean by breaking myself is that I have no muscle gain. I know (or at least heard) that IF can lead to a reduction to your overall muscle mass, In turn, since my most active muscles are my fingers for typing and clicking, I have no other sources of building muscle. With my aggressive IF, what harm am I going to be doing to myself, and will it break my progress?Thanks! via /r/intermittentfasting https://ift.tt/soT62zG https://ift.tt/pb9iz61

Comments