Tracking Insulin Sensitivity


TL:dr my blood glucose still spikes after even minor sugar consumption after 3 months of IF and 30lbs of weight lost. Does it ever get better?I’m 5’9” 37F, SW 199, CW 170.6 and newish to IF- in January I learned my hemoglobin A1C was just over the line for prediabetes. This led me to cut out sugar, go low carb/no processed carb, and eventually alternate day fasting, although I sometimes do OMAD or a 20:4 split depending on how my body and stress level is on fasting days (my starting weight when beginning IF was 194). I have dropped nearly 30 lbs now overall with the combined lifestyle changes and I feel great. I’m just wondering how to tell if my insulin sensitivity is improving. I have a blood glucose monitor and check periodically throughout the week, often first thing in the morning. I’ve gotten to a point where an occasional splurge on something like a small serving of frozen yogurt or a slice of low sugar birthday cake during my eating window seems acceptable, but the two times I’ve done this now my blood sugar the next morning was 117-119, whereas my usual glucose level is around 94-98. Maybe it’s wishful thinking or naive optimism, but I guess now that I’ve dropped so much weight I wouldnt see such big upswings in my BS after relatively minor splurges. Can anyone offer insight on how long it takes to actually notice improved insulin resistance or is this just something I should always expect now whenever I consume sugar? via /r/intermittentfasting https://ift.tt/KX3twn2 https://ift.tt/RGig7X8

Comments