IF Newbie - help with HOW to eat


I am a perimenopausal mid-forties woman who has gained almost 50 lbs in the past 2 years without considerable changes in eating habits. I had mono last year which really knocked me out and has made it challenging to find the motivation to return to my moderately active lifestyle. I really want to drop this excess fat quickly and feel better in my own skin while getting fit again. (CW: 226/ Height 5’ 7”/ BMI 35) I also have a family history of diabetes (both parents genetics.)I am a larger framed/ athletic build, so BMI and “weight” are not good metrics of health for me, I have a scale that measures body composition, and am focused on losing fat and preserving (and eventually growing) lean muscle mass.Upon advice of my doctor, I am trying IF for the first time, she directed me to Jason Fung and I am starting with the 16:8 protocol. Truthfully, eating in a smaller window, fewer meals, and cleaner eating suits my lifestyle so I am expecting to do well with the new protocol, and expect I will probably move towards an even smaller eating window rapidly once I get past all the years of programming that directed “smaller, more frequent eating” to keep blood sugar levels steady.I have had good luck in the past with Beachbody’s Autumn Calabrese’s 21 Day Fix/ Portion Fix diet, which is essentially just clean eating in portion controlled and macro guided format…but I suspect that plan’s carbohydrates/ macros are not going to be effective for my current life stage and activity level.So, what I am confused about, is HOW to make IF as effective as possible for me…to drop all this extra weight I have picked up, feel better while developing sustainable eating habits, and ward off diabetes. So far (in a limited number of days researching), I haven’t yet found where Fung addresses what and how much to eat. I have skimmed articles about Keto and LCHF…If this is where I should be, what are good macro ratios to shoot for? What about daily caloric intake? Thus far, I have been doing 50-100g of carbs and under 1800 calories daily but want to dial this in for best (and sustainable) results. via /r/intermittentfasting https://ift.tt/aoim9Mn https://ift.tt/PhYFw81

Comments