Blood sugar gets low while fasting


Three years ago I found out I was diabetic (A1C 6.8) at 371 lb at 5’10”. I read the Obesity Code by Dr. Fung, and decided to buy in on low carb, high fat diet and IF. My doctor put my on metformin, but my goal was to get off it. I did alternate day 24 hr fasts (only dinner every other day) and would stretch it out to 36 hours or longer every so often. I was meticulous with testing my blood sugar upon waking and 2 hours after meals. The longest I got was a 88 hour fast, which I broke because my sugar dropped below 70.The weight came off fast. After a year, I went off metformin, and continued to lose weight slowly. I am currently down 130 pounds, but have settled in after briefly getting to -140 last year. My diabetes is essentially gone due to my eating habits. My A1C has been in the 4.7-5.0 range for the last 2.5 years. I tell doctors that I “technically have it,” but for all intents and purposes, I am no longer diabetic.However, starting a couple of years ago, my blood sugar would get too low where I could no longer do extended fasts. Many times, I couldn’t make it 24 hours. I would sometimes wake up 12 hours after eating and have a sugar in the low 80s, so I would have to break the fast at lunch. As I said, I am not medicated, so I don’t know why my sugar would get so low so quickly. I have about 20 pounds left to lose (although I’ve been lifting heavy and adding muscle, too). I am basically stuck in the mud weight wise.Does anybody have suggestions? The most important thing is obviously that my diabetes is currently gone, but I would like to reach my goal. via /r/intermittentfasting https://ift.tt/xWNjs0t https://ift.tt/NL1ms8G

Comments