Overeating during Refeeds: The Quest for Moderation Continues


Hello fellow fasters, I am a 6’3”, 38 y/o male who weighs 360 lbs and my goal is to get down to 199 lbs by fasting. One of my biggest hurdles to overcome in my fasting journey is not binging during my refeeds. I’m wondering, what strategies have you found to be successful that help you to not overeat during refeeding meals?Some back story for those interested: I have dabbled with intermittent and extended fasting in the past, but I didn’t really know what I was doing and made a lot of mistakes. I ended up burning out and giving up on it.I have recently done a deep dive into all of Jason Fung’s content and I feel much more prepared to do some serious fasting and turn my health around. I was about 185 lbs when I was 18 and as I got older my weight started to slowly creep upwards. In December of 2021 I weighed 292 lbs, and over the following year and a half I blew up to 360 lbs., my heaviest weight ever. This was due to a serious health crisis I experienced and being prescribed a medication that is notorious for weight gain. Being this heavy is not fun and it has brought on a whole host of health problems including: sleep apnea, foot pain, acid reflux, high blood pressure, being out of breath constantly, feeling hot all the time, and many other ailments. I’ve decided it’s time to turn things around.In the past I have experimented with intermittent fasting and really enjoyed it. I saw some positive results and lost about 35 lbs. At the time I was primarily learning about extended fasting through the Cole Robinson and his Snake Diet on YouTube. I followed his hardcore advice and did some (for me) challenging fasts (longest was five days) paired with long bouts of exercise, but diving head first into extreme fasting didn’t work out well for me in the long run. I ended up burning out and regaining all the weight. At one point I lost 15 lbs in one day by dry fasting, doing hours of cardio, and sweating it out in the sauna. It was an interesting learning experience, but in the end it gained me nothing. I would just binge eat after these poorly-planned fasts and quickly gain all the weight back. Things I will be doing differently this time:Avoid going too hard, too soon. I will start with short fasts and then slowly turn up the intensity dial over time as my body adapts and I can comfortably complete longer and longer fasts.Re-feeding: I will make a serious effort to not binge during re-feed meals. This is a challenge for me, I have a huge appetite and can eat a ton of calories in one sitting.Carbs: I will reduce sugar and simple carbs as much as I can. Previously I did not bother with this and just ate whatever during re-feeds.I will keep my exercise moderate and not burn myself out. I will drink plain green tea and other types of teas in addition to water with electrolytes while fasting.I have done OMAD along with five 48 hr fasts over the past four weeks and I am down 7 lbs. Feeling very fired up, but also cautious, since I am in this for the long haul and want to take the slow and steady approach. My mantra is that this is a marathon and not a sprint. A couple other questions for everyone:How big a role has exercise played in your fasting journey?For those who have experienced health problems from being overweight, did fasting or weight loss in general help to clear up any of your health problems?Thanks for listening to my story, everyone. May your fasting journey bring health and wisdom! via /r/intermittentfasting https://ift.tt/MBDzKbp https://ift.tt/8AfMzxm

Comments